Algiers Climate & Temperature
- Algiers, Algeria is at 36°43'N, 3°15'E, 25 m (82 ft). See map.
- Algiers has a hot mediterranean/ dry-summer subtropical climate (Köppen-Geiger classification: Csa) that is mild with moderate seasonality. Summers are dry and hot due to the domination of subtropical high pressure systems while winters experience moderate temperatures and changeable, rainy weather due to the polar front. These climates usually occur on the western sides of continents between the latitudes of 30° and 45°. Vegetation is adapted to the dry summers and is fragrant and oily making it susceptible to fire. The typical Mediterranean climate average monthly temperatures in excess of 22.0 °C (71.6 °F) in its warmest month and an average in the coldest month between 18 to -3 °C (64 to 27 °F) with at least four months above 10 °C (50 °F). Seasonality is moderate (Köppen-Geiger classification: Csa).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Algiers is situated in or near the subtropical dry forest biome.
- The mean temperature is 18.3 degrees Celsius (65 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 14 °C (25.2°F). This indicates that the continentality type is oceanic, subtype truly oceanic.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 15.7°C (60.2°F) on average falling to 9.7°C (49.4°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 20°C (68°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 13°C (55.4°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 28°C (82.4°F) and average low temperatures are 20.3°C (68.6°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 23°C (73.4°F) during the day and lows of 17°C (62.6°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 691 mm (27.2 inches) which is equivalent to 691 Litres/m² (16.95 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2847 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- Were you to burrow down through the centre of the Earth from Algiers you would pop up nearest to the climate station at Katoa, Whakaangiangi, New Zealand (Warm temperate thorn steppe biome).
Algiers Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Algiers Climate Graph in Metric Units
Algiers Climograph in English Units
Please help others find this resource by sharing the link:
Climate of Algiers, Algeria Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Palma De Mallorca, Majorca, Spain - 319.4 kms (198.5 miles) N
- Ibiza, Spain - 290.7 kms (180.7 miles) NNW
- Alicante, Costa Blanca, Spain - 377.6 kms (234.7 miles) WNW
- Murcia/ San Javier, Spain - 378 kms (234.9 miles) WNW
- Alger ( Dar El Beida ), Algeria - 4.8 kms (3 miles) SW
- Miliana, Algeria - 102 kms (63.4 miles) WSW
- Chlef, Algeria - 180.2 kms (112 miles) WSW
- Oran, Algeria - 365.9 kms (227.4 miles) WSW
- Djelfa, Algeria - 226.1 kms (140.5 miles) S